28 May 2010

Fashion In Film

Best Dresses in the Movies
My Dad recently asked me to compile a list of the ten best movie dresses for him. He's writing a novel about a movie reviewer, long story. There are more than ten here but I included the ones that I love and he did not. These are in no particular order, and we will start, as we should, with Audrey Hepburn.

This is from the movie Sabrina. It's a much-copied prom dress nowadays, and it stands the test of time.

I didn't go to the prom in the nineties, but for those of you who did, you'll remember this dress. Kate Winslet's ball gown in Titanic became one of the most copied film costumes of all time. It's not a very flattering silhouette on most people, but Kate looks amazing. Of course.

Here we have the Vivienne Westwood wedding dress from the Sex and the City movie. At the actual wedding, Carrie wears a bird in her hair. I chose this picture instead.

This is the moment America fell in love with Julia Roberts. This gorgeous red dress cemented her status as one of the most beautiful women in the world.

Princess Grace Kelly in Rear Window. Stunning.

The wedding dress from the Princess Bride is one of my favorite movie wedding dresses. If I went to a Renaissance festival, this is what I would wear.

Nicole Kidman's red corset dress in Moulin Rouge. Remember when Nic here was stunningly gorgeous, Botox free, and singing love songs?

We all know this dress, but who can name the movie? The Seven Year Itch. One of my favorite movies ever and Marilyn Monroe is hilarious in it. If you've ever worn a halter dress, you have Marilyn to thank.

Scarlet O'Hara famously made a dress out of the curtains in Gone With the Wind. The dress is now in the Smithsonian.

Demi Moore's Tadashi dress in Indecent Proposal. Beautiful cutouts on a stunning woman.

I know it's not a dress, but this is one of the most famous costumes in movie history. Diane Keaton played Annie Hall and wore clothes from her own closet, men's pants and a tie. Sexy and original.

The green dress in Atonement was recently voted the best movie dress of all time, and I have to agree. They took a silhouette from that period in a stunning color that isn't from that period and put it on a woman with the perfect body for it. I can't stand Keira Knightley but in this dress, in this movie, I understood her appeal.

Baby's dress in Dirty Dancing. My guilty pleasure movie so I put it in there.

The original little black dress: Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy gown in Breakfast at Tiffany's. A dress that is also in the Smithsonian.

When Kate Winslet steps out of her apartment building in this yellow silk dress in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, she takes your breath away. This is also a dress that was knocked-off rampantly. Of course, it would make anyone who wasn't a size 00 look like a heffer but whatever.

These are my favorite gowns, hope they inspired you! Au revoir!

1 comment:

  1. I think Gloria Swanson has some of the most amazing dresses in Sunset Boulevard.

    ReplyDelete